Search This Blog

Friday, August 13, 2010

Badu...Blessed my Life


Slowly we file into the averagely packed park the once scorching sun is starting to set ... we walk to find our divine and predestined seats that we have have been waiting almost...two months for.. We are passively anxious and excited to finally be at the Erkyah Badu Concert... I took it upon myself to wear a bow tie...red at that...I can't think of a better occasion... Let's journey through this experience shall we...

(Oh and by the way My pictures will be coming soon can't find the stupid cord to my digital camera right now..poooy...)

So... It's six of us all together; Carlos (the baby) Leamon ( the quiet storm.) Tae ( my bestfriend.) Travon ( my left hand) Amanda ( roommate and close friend.) The thing is we are not all seated together... Tae is like hella close... and we are in what I would like to call middle class seating... But I don't give a damn as long as I can feel her you know...

Opening Act; Lyfe Jennings... white shorts, blue T-shirt, sneakers, and white cap... very Lyfe Jennings like when he first came out... One thing I can say about him is he still sings with everything in him... like he feels it in his stomach and I love that...But I can't say that he was the best opening act for Ms. Badu simply because their energy was so not the same... he promoted himself way too much... like he coulda did one of her joints or something... I think Janelle Monae, would have been perfect or even Estelle... but he was good... not wowing but good...

Then the beast in which the game has not given a chance to really hear without shock value... came to that stage with the most ROCK and ROLL blond Mohawk... and with of course chic and bold jewelry... a wrap around skirt... and a tank...

She flawlessly walks up to the mic and just goes right in... no introductions no questions just starts letting us have it... Oh wait and I forgot to mention how the band set it up for a sold 7 mins just playing and getting us ready... She was so present! She walked on to the stage looked at us and then proceeded to the mic... She carries this quality of intimacy in her stride you would have thought that she was doing a like a small club in Harlem you know... and for the next 30 to 45 mins she took us on a ride and she DROVE... we went back to the 90's all the way to Window Seat and I was full...

Not so much because of the dopeness that she leaked onto the mic but because you can tell that she understands performance art and that is why she's entertaining... she was visually so interesting to watch and the stage picture in it self was just EPIC there were boats in the back of her because this was a park you know...Another thing about Ms.Badu is that she was aware of her audience there was this moment in the concert where people were like just texting and moving around... like in a sense disrespecting the fact she's in the middle of working like creating art and she says, " I see yall out there texting and shit I'm going to get that ass watch..." Like she knew... when your on stage you have to know and share the energy... I do not think that words can quite describe our experience but I did attempt to try... but if nothing else it INSPIRED me to SPEAK

No comments:

Post a Comment